Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's Happening in Beginning Mindstorms

This semester I'm teaching a Beginning Mindstorms class to middle school kids. All 12 happen to be boys even though it's open for girls to sign up. This class teaches the basic elements of move blocks, waiting, loops, switches and all about the sensors. We have 12 weeks to give an intro course which I think is fine, however, I do think the class would run better had it been a two hour class instead of one. It seems like we're always in a rush to do things even as we are accomplished an enormous amount this semester. If it were a two hour class, the kids would have time time build and program their stuff. As it goes now, I assign programs for homework so they bring it into class to test. It's been working fine, but I'm sure we could do more with a longer period in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment